How to Use Pipe Cleaners to Curl Hair
Curls are a beautiful way to add style and body to your hair. However, curling your hair with a curling iron is a pain, and the heat can be damaging to your hair. If you’d like to curl your hair with pipe cleaners instead of a heating tool, make sure to bend the pipe cleaners in half, roll your hair on them smoothly, and separate your curls at the end to give your hair volume.
Part 1 Putting the Pipe Cleaners in Your Hair
1. Brush your hair with a hairbrush.
Start with the ends of your hair and work up to the roots. Make sure you brush your entire head of hair. This will help your curls look more smooth and the process of curling them go much faster.
• If you have wavy hair, brushing it might make it frizzy. The curling process will tone down any frizziness.
• If you have dreadlocks or a protective braid style, do not brush your hair.
2. Spritz your hair with water to make it damp.
Fill a spray bottle with room temperature water. Use the spray bottle to spritz your entire head of hair. Apply enough to get your hair damp, but not so much that your hair is dripping.
• If your hair is wet from the shower, wait for it to dry about halfway and then start sectioning it out.
3. Fold about 20 pipe cleaners in half and twist them together.
A standard pipe cleaner is pretty thin. To give your curls more volume, fold a pipe cleaner in half and twist it around itself so that it stays together. Make enough pipe cleaners like this to cover your entire head.
• Tip: If you have short hair, leave a loop on the end of the pipe cleaner so your hair doesn’t fall off of it.
4. Wrap the ends of your hair around 1 pipe cleaner.
Choose a section of hair about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in width. The more hair you use, the larger your curls will look. Place a pipe cleaner at the end of your section of hair and wrap the ends tightly around it. Make sure the ends are smooth and don’t have any bumps.
• If your hair isn’t smooth on the pipe cleaner, your curls might be uneven.
5. Roll the pipe cleaner upwards while wrapping your hair around it.
Hold the ends of your hair as you start to roll the pipe cleaner so that they don’t fall off. Roll the pipe cleaner towards your roots as you wrap the hair over itself. Make sure the hair is smooth the entire time you are rolling.
6. Bend the pipe cleaner back to secure it on your head.
Once the pipe cleaner reaches your roots, bend it back about halfway through on top of your head. Make sure it is tight enough that your hair won’t fall out of it.
• Adjust the pipe cleaner so that the metal part is not poking your scalp.
7. Cover your entire head with pipe cleaners.
Repeat this section rolling until all of your hair is in a pipe cleaner roll. If you leave any hair out, it won’t get curled. Make sure your pipe cleaners all feel tight and like your hair won’t fall out of them.
8. Cover your entire head with pipe cleaners.
Leave the pipe cleaners in overnight. Let your pipe cleaners sit in your hair for at least 8 hours or while you sleep. The longer you keep them in, the longer your curls will hold. Try to avoid moving them around or adjusting them.
• If you are worried about sleeping in the pipe cleaners, place a shower cap on top of your head before you go to bed. This will protect your hair and the pipe cleaners.
Part 2 Removing the Pipe Cleaners and Separating Your Curls
1. Unwrap the pipe cleaners and unroll them from your hair.
Gently unfold the pipe cleaners until your hair is loose. Unroll your hair gently, making sure you don’t pull or straighten the curls. Remove the pipe cleaners from your curls completely as carefully as you can, trying not to create any frizz.
• Tip: You can save the pipe cleaners to use in your hair again if you’d like to.
2. Separate your curls by gently running your hands through the curls.
Use your fingers to gently comb through your curls to add body. Run your hands along your scalp to give your hair even more volume. Do this until your curls look the way you want them to.
• If you’d like tighter, more defined curls, do not separate them.
3. Add hair oil to your hair if it is frizzy.
Separating your curls can sometimes create too much volume that can lead to frizz. Spread a pea-sized amount of hair oil in your palms and gently apply it to the ends of your hair, or wherever it is frizzy. Try not to put too much near your scalp, or it can make your hair look greasy.
• You can find hair oil at most beauty supply stores.